Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Where's That Damn Lorax When You Need Him?

I just got done watching the new Al Gore movie and the inspiration is flowing, the questions are growing. What if we made this great ‘new’ invention, put it out there, slap a pricetag on it, tell everyone it will save your life, save your grandkids, save the planet. Will they buy our T.R.E.E.?

Where to start? That’s the question of eternity. Where can I start? We (Americans) are 30% of the Global Warming problem. I tell Evan, my editor in Chicago, “Take the L man, leave the car at home!” I took my Piaggio scooter out today for Starbucks instead of my Volvo. I’d like to say it’s nice to get out into the fresh air, but what polite adjectives can you think of for foul smog?

Why does no one believe what’s going on here? It’s not a lie. I talked to five or six friends in the past week who think this is just normal, cyclical stuff. A million people without power in Seattle? Half as many homeless in New Orleans? Thousands drowned, battered, forlorn across in Southeast Asia? Ask them if this is normal.

People need to wake up and smell the air, not just their steamed mocha latte! How embarrassing that Seattle is not on Al Gore’s list of cities with ‘forward-thinking’ energy solutions. Is this the Emerald City or the Hypocritical City?

Everyone is into bumper stickers, t-shirts, car magnets these days. Let’s give them some food for thought:

STOP CO2, SAVE YOUR KID’S LIFE!

CO2 WON’T SMOKE YOU! FEED THE TREES!

NOW YOU SEE IT, NOW YOU DON’T. THANK YOU, CO2!

TREE HUGGERS FOR SAVING YOUR TUSH

GORE’S OWL BAIT, BUSH ’08!

FAT IS BEAUTIFUL (IT JUST KILLS YOU)

PRO CO2? VOTE FOR FREE WITH YOUR SUV!

PLANT A TREE OR TWO OR ELEVEN
LET’S GO GREEN AND GO TO HEAVEN!

DON’T LET BIG CO2 SMOKE YOU!

I QUIT CIGARETTES; THE AIR IS STRONG ENOUGH FOR ME!

I can’t stop! My keyboard has got me, it’s got me! I need to give a shout out to ClimateCrisis.net. They’re here for us to HEAR! The time is now. We have to take space and time and energy from this blog now and then to raise these issues, to talk them over. I want to bring in some experts to help us peel the facts from the death grips of the government, of big tobacco, of big oil, of the Bushes and the Cheneys!

But, you ask, how does this have anything to do with real estate? It has everything to do with real estate, I tell you. Without humanity, without our big Blue Planet, your four square blocks in midtown Manhattan is going to be worth zilch.

Where’s that Lorax? We need his help!

VS

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home